Tuesday, January 17, 2006

My Introduction to Podcasts

I was bored one day while I was on the Internet and I came across a link for a tech related podcast.   I had never before looked into these podcast things before, but they are actually quite cool and I have become addicted to these things.  Also, it is great for people with ADD, because it’s like reading a web article while you are doing other stuff.  So listening to Podcasts is about as close to multitasking as I am going to get.  

Anyways the intent of this entry is to let everyone out there know about the cool and informative Podcasts I have discovered.  Most everyone will think these are boring because they are mostly tech related.  But tech stuff is what I like and that is what I listen to.  And last time I checked, this was my blog so I can write about what I want.

The easiest way I have found to search for, subscribe to, and download Podcasts is iTunes.  I know, I am not usually a Mac person, but I am really starting to like iTunes as their UI and usability and very sleek and efficient.  There are also other podcast listening software out there such as Juice and iPodder.  The reason I chose iTunes because of use and the ability to organize and update all my different Podcasts.  Also what is cool about Podcasts is that you can transfer over to your Mp3 players and listen to them on the go.

After about a week of listening to different Podcasts, I have subscribed to about 10 or so.  Some of these have new episodes daily or weekly or monthly.  But most come out with a new episode each week.  I have even subscribed to a couple of video Podcasts.  As for the different Podcasts I listen to they vary from tech related stuff to digital photography to the Lost television series.

The first podcast I subscribed and listened to was by Leo Laporte, “the Tech Guy”.  He used to be a regular on the cable channel TechTV back before it changed to G4TV.  He hosts a call-in talk show out in LA.  People call him up with their tech problems/questions and help them out.  He also has another podcast called “The Week in Tech”.  It features three other TechTV Alums as they have a “roundtable discussion” about the various news in tech for the week.  These are really enjoyable for the person who likes to keep up with the cutting edge technology and gadgets.  

Anyways, I could go on all day and talk about all the different Podcasts I listen to.  But I have to other stuff too.  So I will just all the current Podcasts I am subscribed to with a brief description and who knows maybe you will actually find one of them interesting and helpful.

Michael’s current top Podcasts:

  1. KFI Tech Guy          No one does a better job of explaining technology, computers, and the                  Internet than Leo Laporte. This podcast is of his twice weekly three-hour talk show on KFI AM 640 in Los Angeles, minus traffic reports, news, and commercials.

  1. This Week in Tech          Your first podcast of the week is the last word in tech. Join Leo Laporte, Patrick Norton, Kevin Rose, John C. Dvorak, and other tech luminaries in a roundtable discussion of the latest trends in high tech. Winner of People's Choice Podcast and Best Technology Podcast in the 2005 People's Choice Podcast Awards. Released every Sunday at midnight Pacific.

  1. Diggnation:          Diggnation is a weekly tech/web culture show based on the top digg.com social bookmarking news stories. Hosted by Kevin Rose & Alex Albrecht.

  1. DL.TV               By tech fans, for tech fans: product reviews, tech tips, viewer questions, gaming and great guests, all brought to you by Patrick Norton, Robert Heron and the DigitalLife TV crew.

  1. The transmission – Lost podcast     This LostCast covers the latest new episode of LOST - plot summaries, story speculation, and spoilers (with warnings!).

  1. Digital Photography Tips from the Top Floor     Award-winning, short and sweet - with non-techy tips that you can put to use immediately. This PocastAward-winning show covers everything from image composition to post processing. No matter if you use a digital point-and-shoot or an expensive digital SLR.  With a good sense of humour, Chris Marquardt manages to convey tips for the beginner as well as the professional photographer.


Well that is all for this entry.  Check back in another six months for my next blog entry, just kidding.





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last time I checked this is my "comment box" and I can respond however I please! How dare you tell me what to write in the comment box! You of all people telling me what I can write here! Absurd!

1/17/2006 10:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home